A non-traditional career, according to the US Department of Labor, is defined as one where more than 75 percent of the workforce is of the opposite gender or conversely one gender comprises less than 25% of those employed.
Non-traditional careers for women:
- Radio/TV Broadcasting
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Information Technology
- Architecture and Construction
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Public Safety/Protective Services
- Natural Resources and Conservation
Non-traditional careers for men:
- Health Sciences
- Child and Custodial Services
When career planning, regardless of gender, it is important for students to follow their dreams and utilize their skills and interests. The Muskegon Area Career Tech Center has many students who pursue non-traditional careers ranging from female students in Construction Trades to males in Allied Health Technologies and more. See more examples in our slideshow below.