Transition: Parent/Guardian Role
Parents have an important role to play in the Transition process.
They know their young adult well, and have information about his/her abilities, personality, and what he/she wants to achieve in life.
- Participate in developing the dreams, goals and vision of your child’s future
- Complete a Parent Transition Questionnaire
- Ensure your child’s preferences, strengths, and interests are central to planning
- Follow up on referrals made to community service agencies
- Ask for assistance, if needed , in working with agencies
- Provide opportunities for your child to develop work, independent living, and recreation/leisure skills at home
- Foster independence by giving your child responsibility for chores at home
- Explore community support, training, and employment options
- Discuss future goals and adult reality with your child
- Attend and participate in IEP meetings with your child
- Help your child learn about his or her disability and how to ask for the supports he or she needs