- Students will develop their drawing skills
- Students will experiment with shape and color
- Students will sharpen their fine motor skills through cutting and sewing
- Felt squares (red, yellow, and black)
- Fabric Glue
- An old piece of clothing to sew it on to (like a vest, denim jacket, or dress)
- Sketchbook and pencil
- Small fabric scissors
- Needle and thread
Draw your favorite yellow face emoji. Once you’ve decided on an emoji, draw it at the size you want your applique. Carefully cut out the shapes to create a template for your design.
Cut out shapes. Trace around the paper templates to mark the face onto your fabric. Use fabric scissors to cut it out.
Glue the emoji together. Use fabric glue to stick the face together. Let it dry for at least one hour. Use the running stitch to further secure the eyes and mouth of your emoji.
Sew on your patch. After the glue is dry on your applique, pin it onto a clothing item. Ask an adult for help with this. Then use a tight running stitch to sew on the applique.
If you do not know how to do the running stitch ask an adult to help you or you can follow this tutorial on YouTube. It’s very easy, useful, and fun!