- Art and Creative Writing
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Old magazines
- Art or construction paper
- Art supplies: crayons, markers, colored pencils, gel pens, sharpies, etc.
- Writing paper
- Pens or pencils
- Paper Bag
- Cut out 7 to 10 pictures from magazines for each participant. Try to pick lots of different things: food, people, animals, objects, and activities.
- Put the pictures in a paper bag, mix them up, and draw out three to five.
- Figure out how to put them together to make a collage picture that goes together in some way.
- Draw and color the rest of the scene around your picture.
- If more than one person is participating, swap pictures.
- Write a story about your own or someone else’s picture. The picture should be like an illustration for the story, not showing everything that happens, but going along with the narrative and inspiring it.
- If you end up with more than one story and picture set, separate them and mix them up.
- Display the pictures.
- Read the stories, possibly out loud, and have people guess which story goes to which picture.