- Students will develop their drawing skills
- Students will experiment with shape and color
- Students will sharpen their fine motor skills by cutting and sewing
- Felt or fabric pieces
- Fabric glue
- Old T-shirt
- Sketchbook and pens
- Small fabric scissors
- Fabric markers
- Needle and thread
- Floss (optional)
- Draw your favorite animal. Once you’ve decided on a cool animal, draw it at the size you want your applique. Carefully cut out the shapes to create a template for your design.
- If you want you can use the templates below!
- Cut out shapes. Trace around the paper templates to mark the animal’s face onto your fabric. Use small fabric scissors to cut it out.
- Glue the patch together. Use fabric glue to stick the face together. Let it dry for at least one hour. Use fabric marker to add details to your animal’s face.
- Sew on your patch. After the glue is dry on your applique, pin it on to the T-shirt. Ask an adult for help with this. Then using a tight running stitch to sew on the applique.
- If you do not know how to do the running stitch as an adult to help you or look on YouTube. It’s very easy, useful and fun!
Activity from "How to Be a Fashion Designer" by Lesley Ware