An information hub, designed by the Great Start Collaborative and developed under a grant awarded by the Michigan Department of Education to help Muskegon County Families give their children a GREAT START.
Allison Keessen, Coordinator, Great Start Collaborative
231-767-7285 or Email Allison Keessen
Because kids don't come with instructions! Receive tips, activities, and local resources right to your cell phone. Messages are targeted to your child’s age. Text THRIVE to 274448 or sign up here: https://bbtxt.org/3tr5E0X
Take this questionnaire for free as often as you like to see how your child is developing. You will get a full report emailed to you and you will get tips on how to help your child grow. If you need help with the questionnaire, text or call 231-299-0182. If you have concerns about your child's development, don't worry but don't wait! Call Early On at 231-767-7247.
Bright By Text
Play & Learn Groups
Find Play and Learn Groups for children 0-5 years old with a caregiver. These groups, supported by the Great Start use an evidence-based curriculum to provide developmentally appropriate activities that will help get your child ready for Kindergarten and a lifetime of learning! They are also great places to meet other parents and strengthen your family with strong social connections. Also, visit readearly.org to learn about other community partnerships you can access to support your child's development!
Birth to 5 Development
- Did you know 90% of your child's brain will be fully formed by the time he or she turns five years old?
- Learn more about each stage of your child's growth.
- Find support and fun opportunities for you and your child!
- And when being a parent seems hard, remember: You have what it takes to help your child grow! All it takes is H.E.A.R.T.
- Nurture your child's growth by attending a local Play and Learn Group or Storytime.
- Parents are a child’s first and most important teacher!
- Read early. Read often. every day, everywhere and everything! Also, hug, play, ask questions, sing, and talk to your child every day to get them ready for school.
- Read more about what makes a child ready for Kindergarten.
- READY? SET! GO! Visit the Kindergarten Enrollment page to take the next step!
WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER! Connect to other parents and support by reaching out to any or all of these key contacts:
Muskegon Parent's Initiative
Email Leigh Moerdyke, call 616-446-6100
Fathers Matter Coalition, Dads on Deck and Project Fatherhood
Email Norman Young, text or call 616-304-8360
Fathers Matter (Class & Support Group)
Email Timmy Smith or call 231-215-4622 or 231-260-0179
(Calendar, email, and links to family-friendly events and activities) Email Kristy Wyngaarden
Mom Mentoring Program of Public Health Muskegon County
For pregnant women. One-on-one support with another mom, and more!
One Love Two Homes
(for co-parenting support and education) Email for One Love Two Homes information
United Parents (for single parents)
Email Stephanie Harmon or call 231-726-4161
Strong Families Seek Help When Needed!
Access an updated, printable, ADA compliant version of this directory, containing local resources for:
Parenting Support & Education
Social & Emotional Health
Childcare & Early Education
Request printed copies of this directory or report any needed updates to email@example.com.