Transition planning is the process of preparing a student for adult life to live as independently as possible, access continuing education or training, be employed, and participate in the community. EARLY, THOUGHTFUL, AND THOROUGH planning between the student, family, teachers, and agencies enable students to be better equipped to meet the challenges of adulthood.
Examples of Service
- Coaching students, along with their families, to think about goals for life after high school and develop strategies to reach those goals.
- Assist and design the high-school experience to ensure that the student gains the skills and competencies needed to achieve his or her desired post-school goals.
- Identify and link students and families to any needed post-school services, supports, or programs before the student exits the school system.
- Planning and implementing professional development for quality and compliant IEPs around State Performance Plan Indicator 13.
- Special education administrators, district/building-level administration, and special education support staff
- Secondary teachers within Muskegon County schools supporting students who qualify for special education ages 16-26
- Students and parents of students that qualify for special education services in Muskegon County
- Collaborating with secondary teachers on transition resources, issues, and concerns
- Facilitation of meetings/attending meetings where transition is discussed
- Professional Development: county-wide, district-level, and building-level IEP teams
- Facilitation of meetings with IEP teams and community agency personnel
- Sharing of events/opportunities to teachers, support staff, local transition coordinator contacts, students, parents, and community agency personnel
- Transition Council Community of Practice
- Employment Work Group
- Michigan Transition Services Association (MTSA) Region Network
- Special Education district leadership teams
- MAISD Transition Campus work-based learning program
- Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Consortium
Transition Services Specialist for Special Education
Email Shannon Delora