Schools Of Choice
Schools of Choice
The Collaborative Schools of Choice Program is a plan that offers parents and students a choice to attend other public schools in the Muskegon Area Intermediate School District outside their district of residence.
The Schools of Choice application process operates according to established guidelines, which are:
- Each district within the Muskegon Area ISD may accept students based on district-identified capacity by grade level, class section, and building.
- If the demand for student placement exceeds space available in a grade level, class section, building, or program, a random draw will be used to determine which choice students will be allowed into the district.
- Districts may refuse to accept a choice student who has been suspended by another district in the previous two years, who has ever been expelled by another district, or who has ever been convicted of a felony.
- Students must enroll in the receiving school district at the beginning of the school year and are expected to make a one-year commitment to remain in the district.
Graduation/Promotion Requirements and Curriculum/Class Scheduling
- Parents, guardians and students participating in the Choice Program for the first time are required to meet with a building administrator or counselor prior to the start of school.
- Choice students must meet graduation, promotion, curriculum and credit requirements of the choice district in which they enroll.
- Parents and guardians are responsible for transporting choice students to and from their choice school.
- Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) rules and regulations apply to all students participating in interscholastic athletics.
Application Procedures for the Muskegon Area ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program
- The online Application Form may be completed between May 1 and May 30.
- Completed forms are due by May 30.
- There is no guarantee that space will be available in the building selected.
- Parents will be notified of acceptance by the choice district by July 1.
- Parents will verify attendance in the choice district by the 2nd Monday in July.
If you have any questions about the Muskegon Area ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program, please contact your resident or choice district or call Barb Irey at (231) 767-7201.
Collaborative Schools of Choice Program - Open Enrollment Window will be May 1 through
- Application Form - No longer accepting applications. The open enrollment window is now closed.
- Program Document
Our mission statement
To provide the leadership, programs and services which complement and enhance the efforts of constituent school districts in extending educational opportunities to all students
Phone: (231) 767-7201
Senior Executive Assistant
Phone: (231) 767-7201
Associate Superintendent for Administrative Services
Phone: (231) 767-7207
Associate Superintendent for Academic Services
Phone: (231) 767-7204
630 Harvey Street
Muskegon, MI 49442
Phone: (231) 777-2637
Fax: (231) 773-1028